Our mission of providing care to the world at a moment's notice is at the heart of everything we do. We are caregivers, first and foremost, and we will be there when you need us.
With more than 38,000 employees, Global Medical Response teams deliver compassionate, quality medical care, primarily in the areas of emergency and patient relocation services around the world. We provide end-to-end medical transportation as well as fire services, integrated healthcare solutions and disaster response.
The Base Manager position is a leadership role that requires excellent communication and organizational skills. Guardian Flight’s reputation is built on quality patient care and positive relationships with its customers. A Base Manager should exemplify and promote Guardian Flight’s high standards while leading by example. The Base Manager will work a full flight schedule and will receive an hourly increase for their base chief duties.
- Maintain oversight of and provide direction for day-to-day operations at the base with focus on ensuring safety of patients and employees
- Oversee management and tracking of equipment, medications, supplies, facilities and vehicles as well as base-specific peer review completion
- Assist with the implementation of the marketing and public relations plan to enhance customer relations and service
- Plan regularly scheduled base meetings; complete and distribute minutes
- Oversee and/or participate in meetings and events involving safety, education, program development, marketing and public relations
- Address, follow up and provide feedback on issues, problems and concerns both within the base and company-wide
- Manage base schedule in accordance to the schedule policy and in cooperation with the Program Director
- Will be called upon to contact staff eligible to fill unscheduled leave (i.e. sick calls) at specified base
- May be asked to assist in coordination of staff, timing and logistics for pre-scheduled flights.
- Assist with hiring process for specified base
- Monitor employee orientation, performance, and training needs; develop improvement plans as needed in cooperation with education department, Leadership and HR
- Assist in staff evaluations
- Facilitate the delivery of training and education, including verifying that employees attend training
- Serve as a resource, coach/mentor for base personnel and coordinate with Operations, Clinical and HR for disciplinary action
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for completion and submission of electronic patient care record for each dispatched flight within the specified time frame
- Responsible for daily base checks, which includes narcotic count
- Provide pre-hospital and intra-hospital advanced life support care from initial contact until patient care is relinquished to the accepting medical facility maintaining thorough patient care documentation
- Maintains competency in knowledge and psychomotor skills by participating in ongoing laboratory and clinical experiences
- Maintain documentation of required licensure, certifications, continuing education, safety, and advanced procedures in the SOP
- Knowledgeable in use and routine maintenance of all equipment and supplies used by emergency programs
- Maintains positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues, EMS representatives, hospitals, and the public
- Functions as a medical flight member
- Attends pre-mission briefings and mission debriefing and completes necessary documentation
- Assists in pre-mission liftoff checklist and Pilot assistance when needed, e. radio, navigational, and visual observation activities
- Complies with safety standards to assure safety of self, medical personnel, patient, and equipment prior to liftoff
- Conducts aircraft safety briefings as needed
- Participates regularly in departmental activities, projects, and committees
- Attends and participates in meetings according to established guidelines
- Undertakes and maintains projects as assigned
- Acts as a mentor and/or participates in orientation of new employees.
- Participates in continuing education programs
- Maintains awareness of current issues related to pre-hospital care through participation in professional activities, i.e. national, state legislative-elected or appointed
- Will instruct classes as directed by Program Director
- Will assist with PR and marketing at established bases where needed within the assigned area
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a full-time employee
- Independent Status preferred
- Must not be on corrective action of any kind
- Must be familiar with basic principles of supervision, and have a thorough understanding of Guardian Flight policies and procedures
- Availability outside of regular flight shifts to respond to necessary items/issues pertaining to the base
- Company required Nurse or Paramedic certifications
The knowledge, skills and abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret health and flight-related journals, hospital reports, and job specific legal documentation
- Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry to patient care
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to multitask and perform effectively in a fast paced environment
- Exhibits professionalism, is ethical and able to maintain confidentiality
- Well-organized, analytical and self-directed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to relate to and interact with people at all levels of the organization
- Public speaking experience, to include presentations to groups
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Competency with billing procedures, and patient contact charting documentation
WORKING CONDITIONS AND MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The working conditions as well as physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Required to work frequently near moving mechanical parts
- Required to work in outside weather conditions
- Frequently exposed to blood-borne pathogens or airborne particles
- Frequently exposed to vibrations/turbulence
- Exposed to loud noise levels requiring headphones while in-flight and at a moderate level when in a hospital environment
- Frequently required to travel within region of assignment
- Reach with hands and arms; speak and hear
- Must possess the gross and fine motor skills necessary to sufficiently provide the full range of safe and effective patient care activities
- Frequently required to sit
- Required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell
- Lift and/or move up to 150 pounds cumulative with assistance
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule
GUIDING VALUES AND BEHAVIORS
Employee must consistently exhibit our guiding principles:
- Patient Care - We continually earn the privilege to care for our patients. It is at the forefront of everything we do.
- One Team - We respect each other and achieve together what no individual can alone.
- Innovation - We are driven to develop solutions that inspire progress.
- Vigilance - We will never waver in our commitment to safety and preparedness in the fulfillment of our duties.
- Ownership - We are accountable for what we do and take pride in how we do it.
- Citizenship - We are dedicated to being good stewards in the communities we serve.